Simplify Your Life by Decluttering Your Home. Here are some simple ideas to Help
- Take a few minutes a day to and go through your Closet. Try this experiment to figure out what to keep. Hang all your clothes with the hangers facing the reverse direction. After you have worn that item, hang it back in the correct direction. After a while you’d know which items you can easily donate to Charity.
- Give away one item each day. After a year your home should be less cluttered.
- Make a list of the places/area that need the attention most. This could be closets, drawers/rooms/Basement/Garage.
- Take a 12-12-12 challenge where you find 12 items to throw away, 12 items to donate or re-cycle and 12 items to return to their proper home. This works well with all the kids toys as well.
- Look at your home through the eyes of a potential buyer. Nothing helps more than taking lots of photos.
- Challenge yourself to live with less. Take a months worth of clothing and wear only that for 3 months. Give away the items you did not wear. Maybe do this with your spring/summer clothes and fall/winter clothes.
- Use your imagination to help with the process. Ask yourself how much would you pay for this now if I was looking to buy it new.
- Use a Four-Box Method to de-clutter. Have one labeled for trash, give away, keep or relocate. Place these in each room that need attention. Consider all items in the room
Whatever way you choose to help you decludder, the goal is to take your first step. Start the new year fresh and stop hiding behind all that clutter.
Here is a list of charties to give items too:
- Large Item Pick-up Call for Collection:
- Schedule a collection by calling Service Oshawa at 905-436-3311 (TTY: 905-436-5627)
- If you are eligible for the Large Item Collection Assistance Program or are requesting collection for a serviced multi-residential dwelling (a building with 3 or more dwelling units), apartment building, or condominium townhouse complex the property owner or manager must make arrangements for collection on behalf of tenants by contacting Service Oshawa directly at 905-436-3311 (TTY: 905-436-5627).
- Durham re-cycling Centre – Durham Waste Locations
Tuesday to Saturday
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Sundays, Mondays and Holidays
Household Hazardous and special waste www.durham.ca/works.asp?nr=/departments/works/waste.htm
Rose of DurhamOshawa – Main Branch 200 Bond St. W., Oshawa, ON, L1J 2L7Phone: 905-432-3622 • Fax: 905-432-3974Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am-4:30pmAjax – Pickering Outreach BranchPhone: 289-385-1160Open Tuesday – Wednesday – Thursday
North Durham Outreach Branch
169 North St. Unit 2, Port Perry, ON
Phone: 905-985-4221 • Fax: 905-985-4810 • Toll Free: 1-800-241-3534
Open Monday – Tuesday – Wednesday
Goodwill – Oshawa
1300 King Street East, Oshawa ON L1H 8J4 Phone Number:(905) 434* -8202
Goodwill Oshawa ON, Hours & Locations
Goodwill – Whitby
1121 Dundas St E, Whitby ON L1N 2K4 Phone Number:(905) 430-6093 OSHAWA RESTORE Habitat for Humanity DurhamOshawa Store Hours:
Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Saturday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm / Sunday 12pm – 4pmTel: 905-728-8831555 Simcoe Street South, Unit 1Oshawa ON L1H 8K8Canada