8 Deadly Plants You Have at Home

We’re not saying you can’t keep them. But watch pets and kids closely — they might get sick (or worse) from eating these leaves and flowers.

1. Rhododendron and Azalea
These beautiful blooms look picture perfect peeking out over a white picket fence. But the entire plant is highly toxic — ingesting a flower, stem, or leaf could lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis, coma, and even death.
2. Oleander
Eating only a small part of this plant (which flowers in white, pink, or red) can be fatal — in one case, just one leaf was enough to harm a child. Symptoms of poisoning include drowsiness, slowed heart rate, and shaking.
3. Water Hemlock
These small white flowers might appear in your garden as weeds, and if you have curious pets, you should remove them. White hemlock’s toxin (which smells like carrot) attacks the nervous system, and can cause serious harm (seizures, death) to animals and humans.
4. Daffodil
The bulbs are the most poisonous part of these so-called friendly flowers, so you might think twice about planting them if you have a dog that likes to root around in the garden. Ingesting too much could cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors, and cardia arrhythmias.
5. English Yew
This entire plant is poisonous (save for the berries), but the seeds are the most toxic. The alkaloids throughout the yew can cause convulsions, paralysis, and, in extreme cases, heart failure.
6. Hydrangea
These popular blossoms contain a toxin that’s seriously no joke: cyanide. But don’t uproot your plant just yet. Pets and humans need to ingest quite a bit of these flowers for the effects to be fatal.
7. Philodendron
The sap from these houseplants can irritate your skin and mouth, resulting in throat swelling, breathing difficulties, burning pain, and stomach upset. Severe reactions are rare, but its still best to keep philodendrons away from kids and pets.
6.  Mistletoe
Whether this parasitic plant (which probably makes an annual holiday appearance in your home) can cause death has been debated, but it can cause digestive problems, slowed heartbeat, and hallucinogenic effects in humans (in large doses), and can be particularly harmful to pets.